Saturday, Nov. 17th at 2 pm at the Greensboro Historical Museum the United Daughters of the Confederacy will present a slide presentation of "Army Town, Greensboro, 1943-1946" by Steven Catlett, archivist.
This should be an interesting look at some of the history of our city. During WWII Greensboro was full of military men and women. Greensboro played a major role in the logistics of deploying military personnel and equipment during the war. Some of the buildings used by the Overseas Replacement Depot, which operated on around 500 acres that the U.S. Government leased from H. Cone, are still standing and railroad tracks still criss-cross the area. Over 300,000 military men and women were trained or moved through ORD. It operated after WWII until sometime in 1946 processing soldiers back to civilian life. A section of town near English, Bessemer and Lindsay streets is called ORD to this day,
More information at NC Museum of History