illegally posted signs

In a letter to the N&R today, D. M. Mitchell referred to signs tacked to utility poles.

I have long been concerned with these illegally posted signs. These are not hand-lettered signs advertising yard sales or community events. They are commercially printed signs on weather-proof boards. Without exception, these signs have contact information on them.

Why are the posters of these signs not contacted and prosecuted? I have mentioned these signs to various city officials and citizens. I am glad to see that I am not the only person offended by this practice.

On Westover Terrace between Benjamin Parkway and Cornwallis Drive I counted 11 of these illegally posted signs one day several weeks ago.

There has been so much attention paid to limiting and banning legal, attractive billboards on private property near our roads. I can't understand why there has not been a loud outcry about these illegally posted signs within the right-of-way of our city streets.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Calvin,
I think your situation was an isolated one. I have also seen these signs posted all over Greensboro, and they are not for the betterment of the neighborhoods. They are an inexpensive and illegal (not to mention unattractive) way for businesses to advertise. Of coarse they help the business grow when they don't have to pay for legal advertising. I agree that something should be done to prevent them from being posted.