Ban Mercury in Thermostats ? ? ?

------

The biggest contributors to mercury pollution are coal-fired power plants. But there are others, such as certain light sources, thermometers, and thermostats.

Waste Age Magazine reports that the Maine Legislature has passed a bill that would require manufacturers of thermostats to establish the infrastructure necessary to collect and recycle unwanted thermostats. The proposal requires the signature of Maine Governor Baldacci before it can become law.

Earlier this year Maine banned the sale of new mercury-based thermostats. This ban and the new legislation, along with some financial incentives offered by the state, will help to prevent tons of mercury from winding up in landfills.

I think I have read some regulations in NC about putting mercury into landfills. I haven't seen anything about banning product containing mercury.

I don't know if North Carolina has any laws about Mercury in thermostats. I will search for information and post it when I find it. If you know the answer, please post it here.

What do you think about this approach to helping eliminate mercury pollution?
Do you have other suggestions? Your comments are welcome here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss old-time mercury thermometers. I have 2 digital thermometers, neither one of them EVER reads 98.6.

I wish I had held on to my old glass mercury thermometers.

I know you are discussing Thermostats, but that's my mercury comment :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a silly ploy to make the people think the pols are concerned about pollution. As you said the bigest contributor of mercury in the atmosphere which comes back to earth in rain are coal fired power plants. But the power plant super structure makes biggggg campaign contributions. BBee